Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mexican Wedding Cakes or Russian Tea Biscuits

Ah the flavors of years past. My Mom used to make these every year for Christmas, and as soon as I popped one in my mouth to *cough* taste test it, I was reminded of Christmas. These are quick and easy to make, and freeze well. I might add, they taste good frozen as well.  There are as many names for these little gems as there are recipes. I have several versions and this one is my favorite. It is on the sweeter side, but I like sweet things.


Mexican Wedding Cakes   325 degree oven for 20 minutes

1 cup butter
3 TBSP icing sugar ( plus more for rolling the baked cookies in)
2 cups cake and pastry flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup finely chopped pecans (you could substitute walnuts or almonds)

In a medium sized bowl cream the butter and 3 Tbsp Icing sugar together until smooth.
Add 2 cups of flour, vanilla and chopped ( or ground) nuts. Beat again until mixed.

Roll into medium sized balls, or alternatively you could roll them into crescent shapes. But I am far to anxious to get these babies into the oven so I can eat some, so for me balls it is. Plus that's how Mom did it. ♥
Bake on a cookie sheet at 325 for about 20 minutes. Don't over bake them.

While they are still warm, (not hot, be reasonable here)  roll them in icing sugar. I usually put a cup of sugar into a bowl and that way I can pop a few cookies in a once and swirl them around to coat.

After you take them out you might find some of the icing sugar has melted into the cookie especially if you have done it while they are really hot. Just sprinkle some more on there and you are good to go.

This recipe makes about 30 or so cookies

Enjoy!
~pam

1 comment:

  1. These squishy little creatures come in designs ranging from classic Santa Claus and reindeer to more modern takes like snowflakes, gingerbread men and polar bears. The range of styles also includes some limited edition characters that will be sure to bring an extra dose of cheer this season.

    ReplyDelete