Monday, June 6, 2011

Lentil Salad

I was at a BBQ yesterday and someone brought a lentil salad, which I had never had the pleasure of trying before. It was delicious, and since my daughter has recently decided to eat a vegetarian diet I asked for the recipe. Turns out it was from Costco. Go figure. So I attempted to make it today, and it turned out pretty darn good if you ask me. Even the Hubby liked it.
It was fast, easy, healthy and inexpensive. Right up my alley.


This is the veggies and the parsley, before I added the cooked lentils.


And the finished dish. Ok I am not a good photographer, but I assure you, it was pretty and tasty.

Lentil Salad


1 1/2 C dried lentils, rinsed
2 C water
2 C vegetable broth
1/2 C yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
Combine in a med. saucepan, bring to a simmer, cover and continue to simmer 20 minutes until lentils are tender but not mushy and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove bay leaves, drain and cool.

2 large ripe plum tomatoes, or 5 cocktail tomatoes, chopped
1/2 C red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 C red onion, chopped
1/2 C celery, chopped
3 T fresh parsley, chopped

A handful of slices almonds
1 small head romaine lettuce, chopped
In a large bowl combine all ingredients except lettuce.

Dressing
4 T lemon juice ( fresh squeezed)
1 T olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp italian herbs or herbs de provence or whatever combination you like. This time I used coriander, and tarragon.
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp cumin
Shake dressing in a jar until well blended.
Drizzle dressing over lentil vegetable mixture.
Chill for an hour.
Serve on a bed of lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment