Friday, July 1, 2011

Coleslaw on Canada Day!

Happy Canada Day everyone!!!

Tomorrow we are heading to Pelee Island for the better part of the week, and since there isn't really any access to groceries etc over there we have to bring all of our food and water with us. On the menu for the week are simple suppers, all BBQ'd and simple sides that will leave us with left overs to pick at for lunches and snacks. One thing I have made ahead of time is coleslaw. It's easy, inexpensive and will last for the duration of our stay. It's even a yummy addition to a wrap. I used a very simple basic recipe, and there are about elebenty billion different versions of coleslaw. I chose not to put onions in this one, simply because I don't want to deal with the fallout of eating raw onions every day for a week.



Coleslaw ( I know this is a ridiculously creative name right?)

The crunchy stuff-
One medium head of cabbage, red or green
Matchstick cut carrots. -I use the bagged, pre-cut ones because I am lazy ;)
Onions of your choice- green onions, sweet onion, red onion.

Dressing-
1 1/4 cup Hellmans Mayonnaise **note- I much prefer actual regular full fat mayo for this, because the 1/2 fat mayo has a completely different taste-more like Miracle Whip- and in my opinion doesn't go as well in this dressing. But, other than from a flavour perspective low fat is fine if you want to use that.
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar ( Next time I make this I will be using raspberry red wine vinegar. I use that in my broccoli salad in place of cider vinegar and I like it much better)
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp creole seasoning, or seasoning salt. I used Emerils Essence. You can find my recipe for that by clicking here
1/4 tsp black pepper (if you are still using that black dust people call pepper, go out right now and buy yourself a pepper mill. After you use it, you will thank me. GO! )
salt to taste

Shred the cabbage on a mandolin  or cut it veeeerrryyy thinly. OR go buy a bag of the pre-cut stuff.
Place that in a bowl with a few generous handfulls of the matchstick cut carrots, and onions if you are using them.

Mix all the ingredients for the dressing together in a glass jar with a tight lid, shake it up and let it sit for an hour or so in the fridge.
Dump it all together and give it a good stir, or mix it up with your hands.

I store mine in a large ziploc freezer bag. It takes up less room, easily transportable for vacation, and you can squeeze all the air out. I usually just flip it over a few times before I serve it to redistribute the dressing.

Hope you enjoy!

I would love to know what your likes and dislikes are for coleslaw, or if you have a favourite recipe for it.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment